Harbor Health Services, Inc.
Harbor Health Services, Inc. is a community health agency committed to providing access to quality, comprehensive health care by reducing financial barriers and designing services and programs to strengthen the communities we serve. Within this context, we are committed to supporting education, teaching and scholarship.
Community Health Centers
The Community Health Centers of Harbor Health Services, Inc. are community based health centers. We are committed to providing quality, comprehensive health care services to those in our communities, regardless of ability to pay.
The Elder Service Plan
The Elder Service Plan of Harbor Health Services, Inc. is a PACE (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly) program. We are committed to providing quality comprehensive care to those meeting the eligibility criteria, using an interdisciplinary health care team approach.
HHSI strives to be a “learning” organization that reinvents itself based on lessons learned, and also uses these lessons to deliver quality, comprehensive care.
Our services and policies will be designed to reduce health disparities and to provide care in a financially responsible way.
Our values are contained within the word HARBOR:
• H ealth care throughout the continuum of life
• A ffordable and Accessible
• R anks Quality first
• B alances Financial Needs
• O utreach and Service
• R espect for Diversity
True to our mission, Harbor Health’s key achievements are directly related to meeting community needs.
• In 1965, the first community health center in the nation opens. That health center was Geiger Gibson Community Health Center, then known then as the Columbia Point Health Center. It was started in direct response to an urgent need for health care for the residents of the Columbia Point Housing Project.
• In 1970, Neponset Health Center was started by a group of mothers from the Neponset Circle neighborhood of Dorchester seeking neighborhood-based pediatric care for their children.
• In 1975, Geiger Gibson opened a satellite health clinic in the Mary Ellen McCormack Housing Development, at the request of the housing project’s management and residents to enable them to obtain primary health care in their neighborhood.
• In 1985, Geiger Gibson became affiliated with the Neponset Health Center resulting in the formation of Harbor Health Services, Inc.; the Boards also merged.
• In 1985, Harbor Health was asked to assume management of a new WIC Program in the Dorchester- Mattapan -Roslindale- Hyde Park area, which we continue to administer to this day.
• In 1994, Harbor Health started its Elder Service Plan to address the needs of Dorchester’s elderly population. The Elder Service Plan is a capitated program for frail elders which enables them to remain in their place of residence by providing a comprehensive range of health and social support services.
• In 2000, Harbor Health was approached by a coalition of health advocates from the Lower/Outer Cape area for assistance in opening a dental program to serve low-income residents who were unable to access dental care. In collaboration with the Coalition, Harbor Health successfully obtained the support of the Massachusetts Departments of Medical Assistance and Public Health and opened a satellite dental clinic to serve the residents of Cape Cod.
• In the summer of 2003, after two years of working collaboratively, the Mid Upper-Cape Community Health Center approached Harbor Health requesting to become a division of Harbor Health. As a result Harbor Health received a federal expansion grant allowing the incorporation of the Mid Upper Cape as a member of our family; On December 1, 2003, the transfer agreement formalized the union.
• In 2013, Mid Upper Cape Community Health Center changes it name to Harbor Community Health Center-Hyannis.
• In 2014, Harbor community Health Center-Hyannis moves to a new facility on Attucks Lane in Hyannis, MA. That same year, Harbor Health Services, Inc. opens its fourth health community health center, Harbor Community Health Center-Plymouth, in historic Cordage Park.